Welcome to Kirk Langley Parish Council
"Your local Parish Council"
Kirk Langley is a small parish of approximately 650 people lying 4 miles to the north west of Derby in the county of Derbyshire. It is contained within the South West Parishes Ward of Amber Valley Borough Council. The Village of Kirk Langley is mentioned in the Domesday Book. As the Roman Road of Long Lane runs through the Parish there may well have been an earlier settlement.
The village is split into three areas; the most populous is along the Ashbourne road, the northern end of Moor Lane and Church Lane. The other two areas are at Langley Common and The Green. The hamlet of Meynell Langley lies within the parish boundary as do a number of outlying farms and dwellings. At Meynell Langley, within the curtilage of Meynell Hall, there is a plant nursery with a café.
The Grade 1 listed church, St Michael’s on Church Lane, can trace its history back to 1215 but its origins may be even earlier. The present Church of England village school on Moor Lane was built in 1879. Prior to that a school was held in what is now the Village Hall on Church Lane. However the earliest schooling is believed to have taken place within the Church itself. The Village Hall, built in 1750, is run by a committee and is used for a wide variety of functions serving as a meeting place for many social groups within the Parish. Further details of these can be found on this website. The Bluebell is the village pub and can be found on Moor Lane, Langley Common. The Meynell Arms Hotel, a former coaching inn, is now a private residence hosting a wine shop. Within the village are two working farms, a small engineering works, a stone centre and a residential care home for the elderly.
On Church Lane is Mapple Well; this provided water to The Green for many years. The well along with the Village Green, the Village Pound and the GB Barrington Playing Field is now maintained by the Parish Council. The playing field contains a playground for younger children and regularly used cricket and football pitches. It is also the site of the annual Village Field Day.